This tomato sauce uses canned tomatoes, I will post another recipe that uses fresh tomatoes another day. Its super easy to make, and handy when you have the canned items in your pantry. Its perfect for a cool fall or winter day.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- large onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- handful of fresh basil & oregano
- can of mushrooms
- can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 28oz can diced tomato
- 28oz tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- chili flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 300F
- In a large oven proof pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil. Add onions, celery, garlic, mushrooms. Cook for about 5min to allow for the flavors to come, stir often. Add the fresh herbs, stir & cook for 2min.
- Add the tomato paste, stir & cook for about 3min. it will brown & somewhat stick to the bottom of the pan, thats ok just don't let burn. Add the wine, and scrap the brown bits from the bottom of the pan, cook for about 3min.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir, taste, adjust the seasoning to your liking.
- Place pot in the oven for a couple of, hours to allow for the flavors to come together. Stir a couple of times.
- Serve with your favorite pasta